Two Historic Steps Forward
for the global environmental solution… since Monday!
They are catchin' on. This blog is a quick report of two giant steps forward in international policy. Here’s the big news:
#1, BIOSPHERE EARTH is now a climate priority.
The U.N.'s two globally integrated scientific bodies, the IPCC (climate) and the IPBES (biodiversity/life-support), finally came together on the necessity of prioritizing biospheric climate solutions:
- "The IPBES and IPCC say humanity’s well-being is deeply interconnected with the environment, which is why climate change and nature’s decline should be addressed simultaneously... We must change our economic system. Protecting and restoring nature isn’t a nice to do, it is a must do.” (The Weather Channel)
- "A new report from United Nations’ Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES) highlights the importance of confronting climate change and biodiversity loss together. Global climate change and the unprecedented loss of species currently underway result from a similar suite of human-driven causes, the report’s authors write. As a result, solutions that take both issues into account have the best chance of success, they conclude." (Mongabay)
Please note, what we're talking about above are, primarily, ecosystems, wildernesses, and species solutions. Not tech. Tech, yes, is central to our modern lives, but as a climate solution it has a long way to go yet.
#2, BIDEN & THE G7 endorse "30x30".
- "In a joint statement, the heads of state from the G7 nations agreed to conserve or protect at least 30% each of lands and oceans by 2030 to halt and reverse biodiversity loss. The communique also included support for mobilizing sustained financing to tackle climate change and biodiversity (loss)." (Pew Charitable Trust)
What Matters Most, Next?
Now we need these leaders to acknowledge that Indigenous Rights and the Indigenous worldview are the most important fundamentals of advancing on all of the above.
I believe, and the science supports this, that Indigenous co-powerment, Biodiversity rescue & restoration, Economic advancement into a life-support system paradigm, Human healing, and Financing of all the above from the excess wealth of the global economy are our most important climate priorities. These actions leverage systemic transformation based in a reality paradigm, and upgrade the human identity.
I am grateful for this advancement in the conversation and what it will manifest. Grateful to see BioIntegrity's values refracted again and again from the highest levels of international governance, and looking forward to more engagement, healing, and rebalance. This is what i think will bring humanity its biggest rewards over the rest of this century.
For more of my thoughts, please check out videos 7 & 8 from BioIntegrity's recent lunch & learn series:
- Video 7, Biospheric Philosophy https://www.facebook.com/biointegrity/videos/1007106783155183
- Video 8, BioIntegrity 2.0 https://www.facebook.com/818987984891316/videos/326940598840722
Let's change the world into what we want it to be.